Sunday, November 9, 2008

Breakfast at Sal's

So last week Saturday I woke up early for work.
Mother asleep, Sister at work already.
Father was there though.
As I shuffled around my house looking for breakfast, he came in from outside.
He explain how we had no milk or bread or toaster waffles or instant breakfasts.
So he told me to get dressed.
So I did.
So he took me out for breakfast at Sal's before work.

We used to do this alot, he and I.
Back when I was little, my mum was in university, and my sister had jazz ballet and gymnastics (at that age i called them gymnasties.)
my dad would take me either to A&W for bagels and cream cheese or to Sals's, where i would always get a cheese nip and fries.
We sit and chat about this and that.

We haven't done this since I was 8 or so.

However, not much had changed. Not the tables, not the booths, the spotty cutlery or grimy glasses.
This time around I ordered french toast and coffee.

I remember the time I spilled an entire glass of chocolate milk, so my dad and I sneakily switched tables and pretended we never sat there or made the mess.
I remember my dad teaching me to blow the straw wrappers at people.

That day my dad told me something.
That he is waiting for me to do something.
"____, I'm waiting for you to do something"
"Do something."
"Yes"

He told me that he keeps hearing about all these incredibly talented people who don't do anything for a really long time, and then one day, they just finally do something, and their whole life sets in motion. He said he knows I'm talented, and can be as succesful as I want to be

Am I talented?
Will I be succesful?
What will I do?

Is my life not already in motion?

Things to ponder on I suppose.

1 comments:

Time to Get Fuzzy said...

The scariest thing in the world is following through. Until you do it.

Well, it makes sense to me.